My Website

Shepody's Quilter/Hand Quilting Services...send me your quilt top...I'll hand quilt it for you.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

FMQ Linky Party

SewCalGal is hosting a linky party on FMQ...tips; what we've learned, anything we would like to share. For me; this past year was up and down with FMQ. I am so very glad I took this challenge, and hope to do more of it. I did take a short class in a local fabric shop; it was ok; but the challenge taught me much more. I may never be good at it; but I am much better and more relaxed now. I do actually FMQ most of my small projects now.

I started out with absolutely no control over machine quilting...lol. You would have laughed to see me at the machine!!  I was terrified of it...pedal to the floor; and hands could not keep up. Now; I can at least sit down at my machine and plan my path...it doesn't always work out just the way I thought....but I enjoy it most of the time. 

I have used a few different threads; liking Aurifil and YLI the most so far. I have a lot to try yet.
I really like rayons; they seem to run smoothly in my machine, and I love the sheen of them.  I have tried cotton batt and poly batt; they both work, but prefer the cotton because of less loft.  Fabrics; I used mostly cottons, but did try a rayon with sheen once...I loved how it looked!

I want to take another class in the spring; mainly to get as much stress free practice as possible. I enjoy the social part of a class; and it relaxes me to joke with others doing the same thing. I hate being too serious....lol.  

Here are a few things that I have FMQ 




Ok,,,,enough pics for you to have to look at. But wanted to show you that I am getting more at ease with this. I want to thank SewCalGal for this past year; as it has meant a lot to me to be part of this group.  I have learned a tremendous amount since this started. I hope to keep it up in the coming year.

I am linking up to SewCalGal; link at top of page.


5 comments:

  1. Marjorie, your projects turned out beautifully! You've done a lot with this Challenge! It's hard to see the challenge come to a close officially, but we've met so many other bloggers who participated, we can keep each other encouraged and in stitches through the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for this....and yes; I would love to keep in touch and inspire each other.

      Delete
  2. I think it's great that you stick with the challenge and did so many projects despite your angst. I have a friend who likes to have a glass of wine before she FMQs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be a great excuse....hmmmmmmmmmmm.Thanks Holly.

      Delete
  3. I really like the Halloween quilt and the orange one with the circles. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete